first and second graders tend eggs, hatch chicks
St. Mary’s School...
Chicks hatched at St. Mary’s School. Mrs. Carol Henry’s kindergarten
class and Mrs. Kathy Ayette’s 1st/2nd grade class welcomed the arrival
of 10 chicks that hatched from the eggs the children have been tending.
The classes participated in the egg hatching program offered by the
Darke County Extension Office. Mrs. Blocher’s Pre-School students are
checking the chicks out.
A little about St. Mary’s School…
In 1864, St. Mary’s Parish welcomed its first pastor, Father Charles
Schelhamer. He immediately took the steps necessary to build a rectory
on the northeast corner of Third and Elm Streets. This building was
later used for a school and housed the first and second graders. In
1888, a school building adjoining the rectory was built. In September
of the same year, the Sisters of Charity of Mount St. Joseph, OH took
charge of the school, living in the old rectory adjoining the school ,
while the pastor moved into a new rectory directly across the street
beside the church.
In 1948, the property at the southeast corner of West Main and Elm
Streets was purchased for a new convent for the Sisters, and the old
buildings were converted into a school.
In 1957, under the pastorate of Father Thomas Colman, the present
school was built. It housed 201 students in grades 1-8.
This year the school has an enrollment of 94 students in grades K-8 and
36 children in the Pre-School program.