connection blamed in Darke Co. house fire
DARKE COUNTY, Ohio — The fire that destroyed a home on
Richmond-Palestine Road was the result of a faulty connection that
involved a wood stove and the chimney, a fire official said Wednesday
“Literally, the fire was between the stove and chimney,” said Company
Officer Tracy Brown, incident commander with the Hollansburg Fire
Department. The flames “literally blew a hole in the chimney, out the
side of the walls and caught the house on fire.”
Hollansburg was one of six fire departments called at about 4:22 p.m.
Wednesday to battle the fire in the older single-family residence near
the intersection with New Garden Road in Darke County.
A man who lives in the home with his wife told firefighters he was
watching TV when he heard crackling and popping in the front room. He
looked through a curtain in the doorway and saw a wall of flame coming
from the front porch.
He was able to get out without injury.
The man, whose name was not released, said there were no space heaters
or other electrical devices on the front porch. Brown said firefighters
were concerned about several guns and ammunition in the home, but no
The Red Cross was called to help the family with emergency
Brown said the flue was not properly sealed to the chimney, and the
investigation lists the home as a total loss. “Whether it was soot or
not properly cleaned, we don’t know,” he said.
Other crews dispatched to the scene were Palestine, Liberty Twp., New
Madison, Arcanum, New Paris and West Manchester.
The flames spread quickly from the front room of the house into the
attic. Brown said crews were able to bring the fire under control
Read this and other stories at WHIO-TV